***To apply and be considered for this job you MUST go to, jobs.ou.edu and click on, "External Applicants." Next, look for the search field that allows you to enter a job number, enter, 213449, this will let you review the job and apply.*** review the job and apply.***
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to: admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, or health care services that the University operates or provides.
At the University of Oklahoma, the Payroll Accountant is responsible for the payroll functions of the organization, ensuring pay is processed on time, accurately, and in compliance with government regulations. This position requires discretion and independent judgment as well as comprehensive knowledge of and ability to apply basic accounting principles, knowledge of federal and state tax laws, university policies, procedures, and practices. Collection and analysis of data and basic problem-solving techniques is required. Work is deadline driven, and accuracy is critical. This position is responsible for the handling and calculation of payroll overpayments and the associated entry into the payroll system to ensure accurate reporting of payroll corrections. Assistance with the processing of off-cycle payrolls will also be the responsibility of this position.
The position will report to the Payroll Manager and will work within a small team of systems associates responsible for similar tasks. The position will interact frequently with the State of Oklahoma payroll department, Information Technology, Human Resources, Colleges, Budget & Financial Planning, and other academic and non-academic units.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordination/running the payroll processing on a bi-weekly and monthly basis
- Providing information and answering employee questions about payroll related matters.
- Investigating and resolving payroll discrepancies
- Maintaining and updating payroll records
- Processes off-cycle payrolls as needed
- Calculates employee overpayments and reconciles the information to the Payroll system
- Performs system testing for system updates and modifications
- Voucher entry for deduction payments to vendors
- Prepares cost transfers for corrections as needed
- Respond to email inquiries with accurate information, in a timely manner
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Education: Bachelor Degree in Accounting or related field or equivalent combination of education/job related experience, AND:
- 0-24 months experience in a Payroll office
- A minimum of 18 hours of accounting coursework
- Understanding of accounting concepts and basic math skills
- Knowledge of federal and state tax law
- Strong work ethic to ensure the team meets applicable deadlines
- Ability to produce reports and complete work within deadlines
- Advanced excel skills with ability to build and manipulate spreadsheets
- Ability to communicate effectively, using email, phone, or in person methods
- Questioning mindset that looks to learn and improve on the way things have been done
- Team player that seeks to provide exceptional support to the university
- Outstanding organizational ability with great attention to detail
- None required
Advertised Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to engage in repetitive motions including movements of the hands, wrists, or fingers, and communicate effectively.
- Working knowledge of Peoplesoft North America module preferred
- Ability to speak, read and write clear, concise English
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Strong initiative to solve problems
- Ability to interpret University policy and State rules/regulations
If you are selected as a final candidate for this position, you will be subject to The University of Oklahoma Norman Campus Tuberculosis Testing policy.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Entry Level
Job Function : Finance, Administrative